Skip to main content

First day as a blog writer.

Well, some of you asked for it so here it is. The hot link to all my trip reports, photo galleries, road trips, outings, and pontifications.

Now, just what will it take to get my parents to use an rss reader?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shimano American Corporation "STEC Workshop"

Hey just wanted to share some takeaways from the Shimano-TEC Workshop I attended at the end of March as part of my STEC Forum Moderator participation. This was the 2-day class and took place in Irvine CA at Shimano's North America headquarters. I have added links to images where appropriate. The pics linked directly below are only the technical details. The gallery these pics live in also has a bunch of "look inside Shimano" (warehouse, shipping, etc) and "experience at STEC Workshop" (hospitality, tour, instruction facility) stuff in there that you're welcome to browse by clicking HERE . I don't have the email addresses for the newer guys at ECBS Roanoke but feel free to share with them. Again, LOTS OF IMAGES WITH NOTES HERE . Tool Tips: JIS Screwdrivers . Far superior to Phillips in terms of not slipping/stripping. I know there are a couple in use at the shop but the amount they reduce stripping of screws means we should be ONLY replaci...

Mount Ellinor (5,944ft)

I've heard of Mount Ellinor from locals.  I've read about it on SummitPost .  I've seen it poking out at the south end of the Olympics.  Needless to say, we have been wanting to do this since we knew about it.  So with a beautiful forecast, Jenny and I readied our packs and headed to the Olympic Peninsula.  We took the Fauntleroy-Southworth Ferry for a quick ride across Puget Sound and then headed directly for Hoodsport on US101.  From there, a meandering road through the hills and we found ourselves skirting beautiful Lake Cushman.  Eventually we turned onto the gravel Forest Service Road 24 and began winding our way steeply up to the trailhead, peering over the steep edges of this narrow road - only minutes before, we had passed a tow-truck with a 'victim' of the terrain in tow.  A dodge pickup had tried to turn around in a bad place or had been going too fast.  Either way, the evidence of rollover was clear.  Hearing the gravel crunc...

Lower South Fork Skokomish River, WA, 11 January 2010

We decided to combine a trip to visit some friends of ours in Tahuya on Saturday and be a little closer to the Olympics for a good hike on Sunday.  So after a late start Sunday morning, we made our way up to the trailhead for the Lower South Fork Skokomish River Trail along FS2353 in the Olympic National Forest.  Although we had hoped for the same kind of mostly-sunny weather we had the day before at Deception Pass, we were not disappointed to find foggy vistas on our way. At the trailhead, we quickly sorted out out ten essentials.  The hardest part was picking which foodstuffs we would take with us for our lunch.  We signed the trail register and I took note of the "Couger sightings" notice on the kiosk before starting the climb up the hill into the river basin. Trails that start out instantly uphill are the damnedest thing.  No time to warm up the lungs or ligaments... just straight into it.  Several hundred feet later though, and we ha...